Friday, December 9, 2011

Saffron Indian Cuisine

Curry. I had issues with this food concept for the longest time. I thought it to be too overwhelming for my palate and just a bunch of spices in one dish with no thought process behind it. I could not have been more wrong. When done right, curry is so much more than I originally gave it credit for. Yes, it is complex and not for those who would rather have a burger and fries. Thanks to my fantastic friend, Alex, who never lets me write off an entire cuisine after one bad meal, I decided to give Saffron a chance. Located on Sandlake road, next to Cedars and Roy's, this place is quite new. Its decor is simple, yet gorgeous. The attention to detail is beautiful, every seat has a comfy pillow. And even though I do not drink, my favorite part of the look are the wine bottles on the wall. What a great idea!

This place is perfect for lunch. The specials are unbeatable for authentic Indian cuisine and you get a taste of everything. The lunch menu is split into Vegetarian and Non-Vegetarian dishes and like any good restaurant you get to pick your spice level (I love choices!). There are about 15 dishes to choose from and the dishes range from $8 to $10. I got the Chicken Curry (ordered with nuts) and Alex got the Lamb Vindaloo. Both orders came with an array of items: naan, papadum, one samsosa, raita, lentils and rice pudding. I have had many samsosa's, but this one wins hands down. It was not greasy at all and it was packed with potatoes and peas. The tray was full of all these different dishes and it all was fresh and made to order. The bill came to about $30 after the tip!

The service was quick and friendly, but the waitress seemed to not want to modify anything on the menu. I asked for nuts to be added to my curry and she seemed to not like this. Perhaps it was an Indian foodie faux pas? Whoops! Also, the Lamb Vindaloo turned out to be chicken. We
ended up not returning the Vindaloo (Have you seen Waiting?). However, these two missteps will not deter me from going again. This place is a must-go!

Check out the huge, flavorful menu: http://www.saffronorlando.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment